martedì 27 novembre 2012

A walk along the Padule di Fucecchio


I like being outdoors, but I am lazy! So I need motivation and companionship. After parking my car in Ponte a Cappiano and hitched a ride home, I force myself to walk back to the car accompanied by my mother.
2 local pilgrims
Did you know that adventures in Tuscany are just outside your doorstep?


We take a first stretch along the Rio river. We come under the trestle that houses the nest of storks. There is a very elegant guest that hides into the nest as soon as I take out my camera! We go on and see a little building complete with chimney and a blue fish and a blue octopus graffiti(!). Strange as it may seem, its colors don’t clash with the background! 
Look out for the blue fish! 
A beautiful horse comes towards us, letting us admire it in all its splendor.

Note to self: next time, bring a carrot!

Beautiful plant of the marshes (straw of the marshes)
An embankment covered with beautiful marsh plants keeps us company in this unusual afternoon.    
Colpo d'occhio in Padule - A beautiful sight in Padule

A non-Medici bridge
Slowly, we manage to reach Ponte a Cappiano, with its Medici Bridge perfectly integrated into the landscape. 
 The Medici bridge in Ponte a Cappiano
Pilgrims on Via Francigena have been using this bridge for centuries to pass the Usciana river. Here, a village part of Fucecchio, the pilgrims can ask that their credential, the pilgrim's identity card, is stamped. It is getting dark. What a joy to see my car!   

The marble plaque commemorating Cosimo Medici
Here, a village that is part of Fucecchio, the pilgrims can ask that their credential, the pilgrim's identity card, is stamped. It is getting dark. What a joy to see my car!   
What to do when you are a pilgrim

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento